Carnegie Institution provides basic life insurance, plus the opportunity to purchase elective life insurance. To be eligible for basic life insurance coverage, you must be an active full-time employee. Eligible Carnegie employees are automatically enrolled in our basic life insurance program. Both the basic life insurance and supplemental life insurance are provided by Guardian Insurance Company.
Basic Life Insurance Information
Carnegie’s basic term life insurance provides a benefit if you die while employed at the Institution. The Institution-paid benefit of two-times (2x) annual salary with a maximum benefit of $200,000 is offered at no cost to Carnegie employees.
Supplemental Life Insurance Information
Carnegie full-time regular employees have the option to purchase additional life insurance in $50,000 increments up to $500,000. You pay the full cost of this extra insurance through payroll deduction. Coverage ends when your employment with Carnegie ends (although you may continue the policy directly with the insurance company). The monthly premium rates are based on your age and are listed in the Guardian brochure. As you grow older and move into a new age bracket, your premiums increase.
- Employees who do not enroll within 30 days of their employment date are eligible for guaranteed issue of $50,000 during open enrollment. Any amount over $50,000 requires the completion of the Evidence of Insurability form.
- Employees can increase your election by up to $50,000 during open enrollment, without Evidence of Insurability (EOI), if you previously elected the benefit, and provided the total election amount does not exceed the guaranteed issue of $200,000.
- Any increase amount over $50,000 or amount that takes the employee over $200,000 requires the completion of the Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form.
Dependent Supplemental Life Insurance
You may elect Dependent Life coverage only if you have also enrolled in Employee Supplemental Life insurance for yourself. Once you purchase elective coverage for yourself, you may also purchase coverage for your spouse and unmarried children.
- For your spouse, you may purchase up to 50% of the amount you buy on your own life (in $25,000 increments). The spousal guaranteed life is $50,000. Any election amount above this requires EOI.
- For your dependent children, you may purchase 10% of the amount of Employee Supplemental Life you elected for yourself, up to $10,000 for each child.